Beauty in Chinese Movies
The looks of the popular female movie stars have an impact on audience’s perceptions on ideal feminine beauty. The following are several highlighted features of Chinese movie stars’ appearance.
A pair of beautiful big eyes is one of the most essential requirement for a great beauty in China.
The first example is Zhu Yin, who is known for her innocent character as a faerie in A Chinese Odyssey Part Two: Cinderella. The scene that she winks an eye to the hero has left Chinese audience a profound impression.
Unlike westerners who are not concerned about single-fold or double-fold eyelids (How Can We Know It?), Chinese people prefer a female with double-fold eyelids because they help the eyes look big and sparkling.
Yang Mi is an actress with beautiful double-fold eyelids, whose Weibo account recently won 100 million followers. She plays heroine in many movies such as Fall in Love Like a Star, Silent Separation, The Breakup Guru, Tiny Times series.
Double-fold eyelid is a hot topic on Weibo, proving its importance in Chinese aesthetic conception of beautiful females.
Many Chinese have undergone double eyelid surgery which, through incision and suture, adds a crease on the eyelid to turn their glazed eyes with single eyelids into a pair of bright and beautiful eyes. It is reported that American eyelid surgery has risen and many recipients are Asians (See How an Academic Paper Talks About It).
Bright & Fair Skin
Tanned skin is popular among Americans, while many Chinese prefer fair-skinned ladies. For example, many females envy Yang Mi’s perfect fair skin.
Similarly, Fan Bingbing is a fair-skinned beauty.
Black Long Hair
The actress of the heroine in Seeking Mr. Right, Tang Wei, has black and long hair, which makes her a charming woman.
Other well-known movie stars also have long charming hair such as Fan Bingbing and Yang Mi.
Chinese generally take thinness as a symbol of beauty. Slender figure is one of the most common features of those movie stars in China.
A frequent topic about Yang Mi is her skinny body. Many females admire her long and slim legs.
Here is a Video, which shows that as a movie star, she is really strict with her figure.
Beauty in Western Movies
Angelina Jolie is an American actress, filmmaker, and humanitarian. She has received an Academy Award, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and three Golden Globe Awards, and has been cited as Hollywood’s highest-paid actress. Click to Know More.
Alicia Keys was born in Hell’s Kitchen, Manhattan, to Teresa (Augello), a paralegal who was also an occasional actress, and Craig Cook, a flight attendant. Her father is African-American, and her mother, who is Caucasian, is of Italian and English/Irish/Scottish ancestry. Alicia began taking piano lessons at age seven at her mother’s insistence. Click to the interview about movie with Alicia key
Lucy Liu is an American actress, voice actress, director and artist who became known for playing the role of the vicious and ill-mannered Ling Woo in the television series Ally McBeal (1998–2002), for which she was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series and a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series. Click to view her top ten movies.
We can see that the beauty in American movie are
- vigorous, confident. American mostly is outgoing. Usually the most vigorous and confident girl become the most popular girl.
- sexy.American mostly is open-mind. And they think sex is a brilliant thing. That’s how they attract each other in a large of American’s mind.
- skinny or chubby. Although American advocate the diversity of beauty. You can see that the top beauties are always skinny. Although top beauties are always skinny, some chubby girl is beauty too.
- You can see a living in the image. The feeling they transfer is authentic and straight.
Comparison between Chinese and Western Beauty in Movies
Compare to Chinese movie beauty we can see that:
- Chinese beauty is more tender and implicative compare to American’s wild and free.
- Chinese beauty is tending to be cute rather than American’s sexy vogue.
- As for the inner beauty. Chinese audience is more interested in the figure which is mysterious. Which American audience goes to the opposite way.
- As for facial details:Chinese beauty have white color, American beauty have wheat color. Chinese beauty has big eyes, small face and pointed chin. American beauty has different kind of type.
If you want to see more details, please click the website below:
—Edited by Jennifer YANG & Lynn LUO & Mia LIU